"I believe this recipe is the same as Welsh Rarebit, the classic British topping for rye or white bread toast. Melted sharp Cheddar cheese is complimented by Worcestershire sauce and a hint of cayenne pepper."
Method for Welsh Rabbit
- 1In a 2 quart saucepan over low heat, melt the butter. Stir in and blend the flour, salt, mustard and pepper. Stir in the milk and Worcestershire sauce. Continue stirring the mixture for 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- 2Stirring continuously, melt the cheese into the mixture and blend well. Serve immediately over warm toast.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
February 24, 2017