"Just plain delicious, not overly sweet."
- 1Mix flour, baking powder, salt and the 1/2 cup sugar in medium bowl until well blended Cut in butter or margarine and shortening with a pastry blender until mixture is crumbly. Toss in currants.
- 2Beat egg and milk with a fork in a 1-cup measure; add to flour mixture; mix gently with fork, just until blended. Dough should be consistency of pastry dough.
- 3Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness with floured rolling pin on lightly floured pastry cloth or board. Cut with 3 inch floured cookie cutter
- 4Heat greased griddle or large heavy skillet over moderate heat until few drops of water jump when dropped on surface. Cook cakes, a few at a time, 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn with pancake turner and cook another 3 minutes, or until golden brown on second side. Remove to wire rack. Sprinkle with sugar. Let cool completely, then wrap in plastic bags to store. Can also be frozen.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar for decoration
March 09, 2017