"A meatless version of a traditional favorite."
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 2Divide pastry dough into four equal portions and roll each one out in a square shape. Set pastry aside to rest.
- 3Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add butter or margarine and allow to melt. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes, until translucent and beginning to brown. Add carrot, turnip, potato, mushrooms, and water. Lower heat and cover skillet. Allow mixture to cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4In a small bowl, dissolve yeast extract in milk. Whisk in 1 egg. Stir this mixture into cooked vegetables. Continue to stir until mixture thickens. Add cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to cool.
- 5Place 1/4 of filling on one half of each pastry square. Fold pastry diagonally and seal edges. Brush tops of pastry with beaten egg.
- 6Place pasties on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until pastry is golden brown.
- 1 recipe whole wheat pastry for a double crust
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced thin
- 1 turnip, peeled and diced
- 1 large potato, peeled and diced
- 1/4 pound mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract spread
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 pound shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
February 24, 2017