"This is an Irish beef stew made with Guinness®. This stew is very hearty and begs for a good sopping bread."
Method for Ultimate Guinness® Beef Stew
- 1Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- 2Heat olive oil and bay leaves in a 6-quart oven-proof pot over high heat. Place 1/4 cup flour in a shallow bowl, press beef cubes into flour, and sear beef in the hot oil until the meat has a browned crust, about 3 minutes per side. Cook and stir onions with beef until onions are translucent, 5 more minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- 3Combine garlic, thyme, and rosemary leaves with 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl; stir flour mixture into beef and onions until thoroughly combined. Pour beer and beef stock into mixture, stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Mix potatoes, carrots, and parsley into beef and sauce; cover pot.
- 4Braise stew in the preheated oven until potatoes are cooked through and beef is tender, about 3 hours; stir occasionally. Season with salt and black pepper.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, or as needed
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 yellow onions, quartered
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (15 ounce) can Irish stout beer (such as Guinness®)
- 1 cup beef stock
- 2 large potatoes, cut into 1 1/2- inch cubes
- 1/2 pound carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
January 27, 2017