"Warm and comforting dish my mum brought from England. Great for those lamb or roast beef leftovers (best with lamb though). Use leftover gravy, or buy prepared gravy at the store."
Method for True Lancashire Hot Pot
- 1Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. Drain, crumble and set aside. Place potatoes in a saucepan with one inch of water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook until tender but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Drain, and set aside to cool.
- 2Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Cover the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish with 1/2 cup of gravy. Layer half of the meat over the gravy, then sprinkle half of the crumbled bacon. Arrange 1/2 of the sliced onion over the meat, and then half of the potatoes. Repeat layers, and pour remaining gravy over the top.
- 3Bake, covered, for one hour in the preheated oven. Remove lid, and bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until potatoes are browned.
- 6 slices bacon
- 6 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced into rings
- 1 pinch salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound cubed cooked lamb meat
- 2 cups beef gravy
February 09, 2017