"This is different than others I've tried - moist, easy, and crunchy exterior."
Method for The World's Best Irish Soda Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sprinkle cornmeal onto a baking sheet or spray with cooking spray.
- 2Combine 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Stir buttermilk into flour mixture using a fork just until dough is blended; knead 5 times in the bowl. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead dough using floured hands 8 to 10 times; shape into a 6- to 8-inch loaf.
- 4Place loaf on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle about 1 teaspoon flour over loaf. Cut a long 'x' over the top of the loaf using a serrated knife.
- 5Bake in the preheated oven until bread is golden, sounds hollow when top is tapped, and internal temperature is 190 degrees F (88 degrees C), 45 to 50 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal, or as needed
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon unbleached all-purpose flour for dusting
December 15, 2016