"As a goalkeeper for a top UK soccer team, I revel in my nickname as the 'pie man'. This is my favorite post-match pie. Enjoy it with a pint of scrumpy (hard cider)."
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add lard, then meat. Toss to coat meat, and saute just long enough to brown meat on all sides. Remove from heat. Place meat in a 1 quart baking dish. Add carrots, turnip, potatoes, and onion. Mix well.
- 3Place 1 cup water and ale in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Mix cornstarch with 1/4 cup cold water until smooth. Slowly pour cornstarch mixture into simmering ale mixture, whisking constantly. Continue to simmer until mixture has thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour mixture over meat and vegetables. Trim puff pastry to fit over top of filling.
- 4Bake in preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, until pastry is deep golden brown.
- 1/2 (17.5 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 tablespoon lard
- 1/2 pound cubed beef
- 1/4 pound carrots, diced
- 1/4 pound turnips, diced
- 1/2 pound peeled and cubed potatoes
- 1/4 pound onions, diced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup bitter ale
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- salt and pepper to taste
February 09, 2017