"This is my family's traditional St. Patrick's Day bread. My grandmother has had this recipe for longer than I've been alive. I was SHOCKED to find out this wasn't real Irish Soda Bread, but instead more commonly known as Spotted Dog. Whatever you call it, it is unbeatable topped with a bit of butter."
Method for Spotted Dog Irish Bread
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2Grease a 12-inch cast iron skillet.
- 3Sift flour, sugar, and baking powder together in a large bowl.
- 4Beat eggs with milk in a separate bowl.
- 5Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until moistened; batter will be very thick.
- 6Fold in raisins until thoroughly combined.
- 7Spread batter into prepared cast iron skillet.
- 8Bake in the preheated oven until bread has risen and is golden brown on top, about 1 hour.
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 2/3 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups raisins
January 17, 2017