"This recipe was my mother's Grandmothers recipe. Spicy soft cookies with currants. Originally from England. Enjoy, they won't last long."
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease cookie sheets.
- 2In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar, eggs, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. Combine the flour, baking soda, and currants, and stir into the butter mixture alternately with tablespoons of milk until the flour is fully incorporated. More milk will make a softer cake-like cookie. Drop by spoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets. Press down lightly with a fork. If the fork is sticking, dip it in sugar or water.
- 3Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until golden brown. Let stand on the cookie sheet for a minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup dried currants
- 1 cup milk, or as needed
January 27, 2017