"Just like yo' Irish mama used to make, and the brisket will melt in your mouth. Get a center cut of meat, not the 'point.' Super-tender and slices really nicely, just like butter. What little was leftover was made into a great hash the following morning."
Method for Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage
- 1Spread baby carrots, potatoes, and onion into the bottom of a slow cooker crock. Pour water over the vegetables.
- 2Season the lean side of the corned beef brisket with onion powder and garlic powder. Set seasoned brisket onto the vegetables with the fatty side facing upwards. Pour beer over the brisket. Sprinkle contents of the spice packet over the brisket.
- 3Cook on Low for 10 hours.
- 4Remove brisket to a cutting board. Stir cabbage into the liquid and vegetable mixture remaining in the slow cooker.
- 5Cook cabbage on High until tender, 30 to 45 minutes.
- 6Slice corned beef and serve with cabbage mixture.
- 1/2 pound baby carrots
- 1/2 pound small yellow potatoes (such as Dutch Yellow® Pee Wee potatoes)
- 1 sweet onion, cut into bite-size pieces
- 4 cups water
- 4 3/4 pounds corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 3 tablespoons onion powder
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 bottle Irish stout beer (such as Guinness®)
- 1 medium head cabbage, quartered and leaves separated
December 20, 2016