"My mother-in-law made this pie in Scotland. It is not a sweet mince pie, but it's easy to make, and a hearty dinner. I serve boiled parsley potatoes and a nice salad with this pie. My children always ask for this pie when they come home to visit."
- 1Place the ground beef in a large pot and pour in enough water to cover beef. Boil until beef is cooked through. Drain.
- 2Add water to cover cooked beef, add onions and enough bouillon granules to taste. Cook until the onions are soft. Season with salt and pepper to your taste and make sure the filling has enough bouillon to have a nice beef flavor.
- 3Combine the 1/4 cup water with the cornstarch and stir until smooth. Add to the beef mixture and cook until mixture has thickened. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- 4Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 5Roll out pastry to fit a 9-inch pie plate.
- 6Pour beef mixture into the pastry crust and cover the top with pastry. Crimp edges and prick top.
- 7Bake in preheated oven until pie crust is lightly browned, about 40 minutes.
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 4 cups water to cover
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
February 09, 2017