"My best friend in high school's mom made this for me when I had my first overnight stay in a hospital. I loved it so much that I made it whenever I got the chance. When we lived overseas, my mom had to limit the number of times I could make it because butter was so expensive. Now it's part of my Christmas baking. Very rich and good!"
Method for Scotch Shortbread
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- 2Mix flour, butter, and 1/2 cup sugar together in a bowl using your hands until dough is well combined. Press dough into an ungreased 11 1/2x 7 1/2-inch pan or jelly roll pan. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- 3Bake in the preheated oven until edges are light brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Cut shortbread into squares in the pan while still warm. Cool completely before removing squares from pan.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar, or as needed
December 08, 2016