"This is a good recipe. We used it years ago before becoming vegetarian. Wonderful aroma and flavor."
Method for Scotch Broth I
- 1In a large kettle, combine soup bones, water, and peppercorns. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat comes easily off the bones.
- 2Remove bones. Strain broth; chill.
- 3Skim off fat. Remove meat from bones; dice and return to broth along with carrots, turnips, celery, onion, and barley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer about 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender.
- 2 pounds meaty beef soup bones
- 2 quarts water
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup turnips, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
January 17, 2017