"This is a very easy and basic recipe adapted from a traditional Scottish dish. It's ideal for utilizing leftovers or working from a limited kitchen. Use a mild pork sausage or English bangers for this dish."
Method for Sausage and Vegetable Stovie
- 1Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot with a tight fitting lid over medium-high heat. Cut the pork sausages in half and gently place into the pot. Cook the sausages for a few minutes until they begin to brown on all sides, then add the onions, and cook until the onions begin to brown, about 5 minutes.
- 2Gently stir the potatoes, carrots, and rutabagas into the sausage and onion mixture, then pour in the chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce; season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook until the sausages are no longer pink in the center, the vegetables are tender, and the stock has been mostly absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes. If you wish, add additional chicken stock to make the dish saucier.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound fresh pork sausage links
- 3 large potatoes, cubed
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 rutabagas, peeled and cubed
- 1/3 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
January 27, 2017