"A classic version of this dish was shared with me years ago. This is is my adaptation to more local ingredients. If you don't like beer, you can replace it with milk and it will still taste great. Serve over toasted bread or English muffins."
- 1Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat; blend in the flour, salt, pepper, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce; continue cooking and stirring until the mixture is smooth and bubbly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat; gradually stir in the milk; return to heat and stir continually until the mixture comes to a boil. Slowly pour in the beer; cook 1 minute more while still stirring. Melt the Cheddar cheese into the mixture in small portions until completely incorporated. Remove from heat.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco®) (optional)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup beer
- 1/2 pound Cheddar cheese, shredded
March 20, 2017