"A scrumptious date nut cake that is truly fit for a queen. It is crowned with a broiled coconut topping."
Method for Queen Elizabeth Cake I
- 1Pour boiling water over dates in a small bowl, and let stand until cool.
- 2Measure flour, baking powder, soda, salt, and nuts into a small bowl. Stir to mix.
- 3Cream 1/4 cup butter or margarine and white sugar together in a mixing bowl; beat in egg and vanilla. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture in three parts alternately with date mixture in two parts, beginning and ending with dry mixture. Spread batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- 4Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes, or until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.
- 5To Make Topping: Mix coconut, brown sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and cream in a small saucepan over medium heat. Boil for three minutes. Spread over warm cake, and brown under broiler.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cream
February 09, 2017