"Being a Brit, bangers & mash is a fairly regular staple on the household menu. I tried recipe after recipe for the perfect onion gravy to go with it, and this is by far and away the best."
Method for Onion Gravy for British Bangers and Mash
- 1Melt butter in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat. Cook and stir onion in the melted butter until softened, about 10 minutes.
- 2Reduce heat to low. Cover the pan and cook until onions are caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- 3Stir flour into the caramelized onions and cook for 1 minute.
- 4Pour red wine, chicken stock (see Editor's Note), Dijon mustard, and Worcestershire sauce into the onion mixture; simmer until sauce is thickened, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
January 27, 2017