"Very different from the other scones I've had, but just as good, or better! Add variety by putting in raisins, currants, chocolate chips or dried cranberries. These are also good if split open and filled with jam or butter."
Method for Old Fashioned Cream Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a cookie sheet.
- 2In a large bowl, stir together the all purpose flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons sugar and salt. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in eggs and cream to make a firm dough. Turn mixture onto a lightly floured surface and briefly knead until dough sticks together.
- 3Divide the dough into 8 or 10 pieces, and round out the edges. Place onto the prepared cookie sheet, brush with egg white and sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- 4Bake at 400 degrees F (200 degrees C) for 12 to 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
November 28, 2016