"This bread is delicious. Plan ahead 12 hours!"
Method for O'Kee's Irish Soda Oatmeal Bread
- 1Mix rolled oats, buttermilk, and molasses in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- 2Whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar until combined; pour flour mixture into buttermilk mixture and stir just until moistened.
- 3Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface and knead 3 or 4 times until dough holds its shape.
- 4Cut dough in half; pat each half into a 6-inch round loaf.
- 5Use a sharp knife to deeply score each loaf in quarters, cutting 1-inch deep.
- 6Wrap each loaf in plastic wrap and allow to stand at least 12 hours at room temperature to ferment. (Loaves can be refrigerated up to 2 more days after this, if desired.)
- 7Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 8Place loaves on an ungreased baking sheet.
- 9Bake loaves for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue to bake until loaves are browned and make a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom, about 20 more minutes.
- 10Allow breads to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. To serve, slice loaves 3/4-inch thick all across the loaf, then cut slices in half.
- 1 cup regular rolled oats
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons dark molasses
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
December 20, 2016