"Much like an Italian-American version I once came across, but this recipe uses a combination of ground lamb and Italian sweet sausage."
Method for Mom's Irish Ziti
- 1Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Prepare a 1 1/2-quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- 2Fill a large pot with lightly salted water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Once the water is boiling, stir in the rigatoni and return to a boil. Stirring occasionally, boil until the pasta cooked is still firm to the bite, about 13 minutes. Drain well in a colander set in the sink; pour into the prepared baking dish.
- 3Place a skillet over medium heat; crumble the sausage and lamb into the hot skillet. Breaking the meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon, cook and stir the mixture until completely browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the fat from the skillet.
- 4Pour about half of the tomato sauce over the pasta, then layer with the provolone slices and the meat mixture. Season with the Italian seasoning and crushed red pepper; top with the mozzarella cheese and the remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese over the top of the dish.
- 5Bake in the preheated oven until hot and bubbly, 25 to 35 minutes.
- 3 cups rigatoni
- 1/2 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
December 20, 2016