"My mom used to make these a lot when I was a child. These were so good that there was nothing like them. I could never eat enough of these, and you will see that when you make these syrupy tarts."
Method for Mom's Butter Tarts
- 1Line three inch tart tins with pastry. Chill while making filling.
- 2Melt butter. Stir in golden syrup, brown sugar, raisins, nutmeg, and salt; mix thoroughly. Let mixture cool. Beat the eggs just sufficiently to combine yolks and whites, and then mix into the butter syrup. Pour filling into pastry lined tart tins. Set tins on a cookie sheet.
- 3Bake on lowest rack in very hot preheated oven, 450 degrees F (230 degrees C), for 15 to 20 minutes. When baked, loosen edges with pointed knife. Allow tarts to stand for at least 10 minutes before removing from tins.
- 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
- 2/3 cup butter
- 1 cup golden syrup
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
January 27, 2017