"These dainty cookies melt in your mouth. Legend has it that they are named after the ladies in waiting to an English queen."
Method for Maids-of-Honor
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2In a medium bowl, stir together 1 cup flour and 1 tablespoon sugar. Cut in 1/4 cup butter until smaller than peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of milk at a time over the dough until moistened. Form dough into a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 2 1/2 inch circles using a cookie or biscuit cutter. Press circles into the bottom and up the sides of ungreased mini muffin cups. set aside.
- 3In a medium bowl, cream together 2 tablespoons butter, 3/4 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon flour. Beat in the eggs and sherry, then stir in the ground almonds. Place 1/4 teaspoon of jam into the bottom of the lined cups. Cover with 1 tablespoon of the almond mixture.
- 4Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are lightly browned. Allow to cool slightly before removing from muffin tins to cool on wire racks.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry
- 3/4 cup ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons fruit preserves, any flavor
December 20, 2016