"This is a delicious potato and meat pie topped with bubbly cheese. We love this pie that my wife surprised me with one night. She used to make it back home in Ireland."
Method for Linda's Irish Shepherd's Pie
- 1Place the potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil and cook until tender. Drain and mash with desired amounts of milk and butter. Set aside.
- 2While the potatoes are cooking, crumble the ground beef into a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink.
- 3Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Melt the margarine in a small pan. Stir in the flour. Cook and stir over medium heat until dark brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool off the heat then gradually stir in the consomme, ketchup and browning sauce until smooth. Set over medium heat and simmer until thick.
- 4Stir the sauce into the ground beef and transfer to a casserole dish. Top with mashed potato, then sprinkle the cheese over the potato.
- 5Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until potatoes are toasted and cheese is melted.
- 5 large potatoes - peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 ounce margarine
- 1 ounce all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 cups beef consomme
- 2 tablespoons browning and seasoning sauce
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
February 09, 2017