"Chock-full of raisins, lemon peel and spices. The light brown sugar and whiskey give this cake a mild butterscotch type of flavor."
Method for Irish Whiskey Cake
- 1Place the raisins, lemon rind, and whiskey in a small bowl and let them soak overnight. Line bottom of an eight-inch square cake pan with parchment paper that is buttered and dusted with flour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift the flour, salt, cloves and baking powder into a bowl and set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolks and beat well. Quickly beat in the flour mixture. Stir in the soaked raisins.
- 3In a separate clean bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff and fold them into the mixture. Pour this into your prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake thoroughly on a wire rack.
- 4To make the glaze: Mix the lemon juice with the sifted powdered sugar and just enough whiskey and warm water so that you can drizzle icing over the cake.
- 2 cups golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup whiskey
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
December 08, 2016