"This is the real thing! You can use an egg and slightly less milk for a different texture. It is also possible to use water instead of milk and buttermilk, but this makes a much denser loaf."
Method for Irish Soda Bread V
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 2In a large bowl, sift together all-purpose flour, salt and baking soda. Add whole wheat flour and sugar; stir to combine. In a separate bowl, mix together buttermilk, milk and oil.
- 3Add milk mixture to flour mixture; mix just until combined. Divide dough in half and form into two round, flat loaves. Place loaves on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 4Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake for an additional 25 to 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
March 09, 2017