"An old family recipe that gets rave reviews!"
Method for Irish Soda Bread and Whiskey Butter
- 1Place raisins in a small bowl; pour in whiskey and allow to soak overnight.
- 2The next day, drain raisins and reserve the leftover whiskey.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- 5Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl.
- 6Stir drained raisins, orange peel, and caraway seeds into dry ingredients.
- 7Beat in buttermilk and 1/4 cup melted butter to make a thick batter.
- 8Transfer batter to prepared casserole dish.
- 9Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- 10Beat 1/2 cup butter in a bowl until fluffy; beat in reserved whiskey, 1 teaspoon at a time, to taste. Serve with soda bread.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup whiskey
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel (optional)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
January 27, 2017