"Handed down through the generations in my family. Even people who swear they hate liver and onions love this dish. Goes great with corn casserole and garlic mashed potatoes, or freshly sliced tomatoes and corn-on-the-cob. "
- 1Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, onion, green bell pepper, red bell pepper, and mushrooms; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Push onion mixture to the side of the skillet, and place the butter in the center of the skillet. Add calf's liver, one slice at a time. Cover and cook until lightly browned, flipping liver slices once, 5 to 6 minutes. Cut liver slices in half.
- 2Whisk together flour, water, and beef bouillon in a bowl until combined. Pour mixture into the skillet; cook and stir until gravy thickens, then add red wine. Cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil, or more if needed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 large sweet onions (such as Vidalia®), thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped green bell pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms (optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 pound calf's liver, skinned, deveined, and sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cold water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon red wine
February 04, 2017