"This is a wonderfully simple chunky soup. I use good quality Irish back bacon but if you can't get this, it tastes equally good made with pancetta. The dark green colour of the cabbage alongside the tomatoes gives the soup a beautiful colour."
Method for Irish Bacon And Cabbage Soup
- 1Place bacon in a large, deep stockpot or saucepan. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain off any excess fat.
- 2Stir in potatoes, tomatoes, and enough chicken stock to cover. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- 3Stir in cabbage and allow the soup to simmer for a few minutes longer before serving.
- 1/2 pound Irish bacon, diced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 cup chicken stock, or as needed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups thinly sliced dark green Savoy cabbage leaves
November 26, 2016