Greek-inspired chicken skewers with lots of flavor! Marinade is also wonderful on grilled vegetables.
The skewered kebab-like recipe existed as a favourite in ancient Greece during Archaic times, as the earliest references are attested in Homer. However, excavations held in Akrotiri on the Greek island of Santorini by professor Christos G. Doumas, unearthed stone sets of barbecues for skewers (Greek: krateutai) used before the 17th century BC. Even later on, during the Byzantine era, references survive describing street vendors selling souvlakia with pita in Constantinople.
Method for Greek Chicken Skewers
- 1Whisk lemon juice, oil, vinegar, onion flakes, garlic, lemon zest, Greek seasoning, poultry seasoning, oregano, pepper, and thyme together in a bowl and pour into a resealable plastic bag.
- 2Add chicken, coat with the marinade, squeeze out excess air, and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4Remove chicken from the marinade and shake off excess; thread onto skewers. Discard the remaining marinade. Place the skewers on a baking sheet.
- 5Roast in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup wok oil
- ⅛ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lemon, zested
- 1 teaspoon Greek seasoning
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, or as needed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 bamboo skewers, or as needed, soaked in water for 30 minutes