"Butter tarts are a British staple. These English ones have been in my family long enough that we don't know the origin. They're fantastic with a sweet, homemade crust, but are my favourite treat to whip up quickly when I have shells pre-made. A fantastic winter or Christmas treat, they're delicious with warm cider."
Method for Georgina's True English Butter Tarts
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Place tart shells on a baking sheet.
- 2Bake in the preheated oven until edge of crust is golden, about 10 minutes.
- 3Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Position a rack in the upper 1/3 of the oven.
- 4Whisk brown sugar, golden syrup, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, and salt together in a bowl until smooth. Fill pastry shells with sugar mixture about 2/3-full.
- 5Bake in the preheated oven until filling foams and is bubbly and golden, about 15 minutes. Remove pan and cool for a few minutes on a wire rack; serve warm or at room temperature.
- 24 (2 inch) unbaked tart shells
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
January 27, 2017