"It's almost like a shepherd's pie but with fish and spinach. Great dish for a cold gloomy day. It's Irish comfort food at its best."
Method for Fisherman's Pie
- 1Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2Arrange cod in a single layer in a large baking dish; set aside.
- 3Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour, and stir until the mixture becomes paste-like and light golden brown, 2 to 5 minutes.
- 4Gradually whisk warm milk into the flour mixture and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Whisk until the sauce is thick and smooth, about 5 minutes.
- 5Whisk in white Cheddar cheese, then mix onion, spinach, salt, and black pepper into the sauce.
- 6Remove saucepan from heat and stir in garlic. If sauce is too thick, stir in more warm milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.
- 7Pour sauce over fish in baking dish.
- 8Layer mashed potatoes on top.
- 9Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, then sprinkle with yellow Cheddar cheese. Continue baking until fish is easily flaked with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- 1 pound cod fillets, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk, or more as needed
- 1 cup shredded sharp white Cheddar cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded yellow Cheddar cheese
December 08, 2016