"This has been a favorite of my husband's since I can long remember. His mother always manages to bake him one every year (she's 75) for Christmas......though she claims it's always his last."
Method for English Walnut Date Cake
- 1Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease and flour a 10 inch tube pan.
- 2In a large bowl, combine dates, walnuts, sugar, baking powder and flour. Stir in egg yolks. In a large glass or metal mixing bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold the whites into the fruit/nut mixture until no streaks remain. Spoon into prepared pan.
- 3Bake in the preheated oven for 90 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- 2 pounds dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 pounds English walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 egg whites
December 15, 2016