"Serve it hot with custard, or eat it cut into slices when cold."
Method for English Bread and Butter Pudding
- 1Cut the crusts from the bread, tear bread into pieces, place in a bowl and cover with milk. Let rest 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter a 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- 3Beat melted butter, sugar, mixed spice and egg together until smooth. Beat together with soaked bread and milk. Stir in dried fruit and orange zest. Pour into prepared dish and sprinkle with nutmeg.
- 4Bake in preheated oven 75 minutes, until set.
- 10 slices bread
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chopped dried mixed fruit
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
December 15, 2016