"This shortbread cookie is a traditional Scottish recipe. These are round cookies sandwiched with jam and topped off with a delicious icing and a cherry."
Method for Empire Biscuits
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Gradually stir in the flour until well blended. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into rounds using a cookie cutter.
- 3Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Sandwich one teaspoon of jam between two cookies. Repeat with remaining cookies. In a medium bowl, gradually stir the milk into the confectioners' sugar until the icing is of a spreadable consistency. Spread on top of the sandwiched cookies. Top each cookie with half of a cherry while the icing is still wet.
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raspberry preserves
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 8 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
March 09, 2017