"Traditional Irish potato dish, very easy to make. Bear in mind that the UK and Ireland weren't exactly known for their cuisine, but for authenticity, this is what you want. For unauthentic but enhanced flavor, you can add bacon bits, or Cheddar cheese, or both."
Method for Easy Irish Colcannon
- 1Place the potatoes, cabbage, and green onions into a large sauce pan, fill with water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- 2Drain the vegetables and place into a large bowl. Mash the potatoes and vegetables with the butter using a fork until the mixture is chunky, pouring in half-and-half gradually as you mash. Season with salt and pepper, and serve.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- salt and black pepper to taste
February 09, 2017