"A family favorite my uncle makes. They are a wonderful balance between salty and sweet, with a combination of crispy, chewy, and crunchy textures. My family destroys a tray of these in fifteen minutes. "
Method for Devils on Horseback
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Soak the toothpicks in a bowl of water. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- 2In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce and ground ginger. Place the brown sugar into a shallow bowl. Spread open a pitted date, then stuff it with a smoked almond. Wrap the date with half a bacon slice, secure it with a toothpick, dip the bundle in soy sauce mixture, and then dip it into brown sugar. Place the wrapped dates into the prepared baking dish. If desired, sprinkle a little more brown sugar over the bundles.
- 3Bake in the preheated oven until the bacon is brown and crisp, 15 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving; serve warm or at room temperature.
- 20 wooden toothpicks
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 20 dates, pitted and left whole
- 20 whole smoked almonds
- 10 bacon slices, cut in half crosswise
March 09, 2017