"'Cream cakes' are not a specific item, but a term that refers to a variety of goodies served at tea. Scones, cakes, buns, and biscuits may be spread with cream and/or jam. Here's a Lake District recipe for 'Upland's Biscuits'. When cool, sandwich in pairs with raspberry jam. A dollop of clotted cream on top, a pot of strong tea, aahhh!"
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 2In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat margarine and sugar until very soft. Add beaten egg, custard powder, flour, and salt. Knead well on a floured surface.
- 3Roll out and cut with a plain biscuit cutter. Bake for 10 minutes or until pale brown.
- 1 cup margarine
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 2 1/4 cups self-rising flour
- 4 tablespoons custard powder
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch salt
January 27, 2017