"This is a great side dish for corned beef on St. Patrick's Day. It is very smooth and rich! The recipe came from my mother-in-law, who is first-generation Irish."
Method for Cream Cheese Colcannon
- 1Place potatoes in a large pot and cover with salted water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid. Allow potatoes to cool until they can be handled.
- 2Boil cabbage and onion with the reserved potato water in a pot until softened, about 5 minutes. Drain.
- 3Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- 4Grease a 2-quart casserole dish.
- 5Peel and cut potatoes into chunks; place in a large bowl.
- 6Mash skim milk and butter into potatoes until mixture is smooth.
- 7Stir drained cabbage and onion into potato mixture.
- 8Fold cream cheese, salt, and black pepper into potato mixture, stirring until the cream cheese melts.
- 9Pour potato mixture into prepared casserole dish.
- 10Bake in preheated oven until browned, 30 to 35 minutes.
- 1 pound potatoes
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 pinch salt and ground black pepper
January 27, 2017