"This is a popular Scottish dessert and there are many variations and names such as Cream Crowdie. Toasted oats are folded into lightly sweetened whipped cream and topped off with berries and a splash of dark rum or whisky. Surprisingly tasty!"
Method for Cranachan
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spread oats out in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Toast in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until nut-brown. Set aside to cool. Remove them from the pan for faster cooling.
- 2In a medium bowl, whip the cream to firm peaks, but not grainy. Gently fold in the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and toasted oats. Spoon into 4 serving bowls, and top with fresh berries. For an extra touch, drizzle a bit of dark rum over each serving. Garnish with a mint leaf.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh berries
- 1 tablespoon dark rum (optional)
- 4 fresh mint leaves for garnish (optional)
November 28, 2016