"I make these pasties about once a month for my family and extended family. I weigh my ingredients for accuracy and flavor."
Method for Cornish Finnish Michigan Pasties
- 1Whisk together flour and salt in a large bowl. Cut shortening. Make a well in the center of the mixture, and quickly stir in ice cold water. Form dough into a ball. Set aside.
- 2Dissolve the bouillon cube in the hot water. Combine uncooked vegetables, uncooked meats, salt, pepper, monosodium glutamate, and bouillon.
- 3Roll out pastry dough into 6 x 8 inch rectangles. Place about 1 1/2 cups of filling in the center of each rectangle. Bring 6 inch sides together, and seal. Cut a slit in the top of each pasty. Place on dull, not black, baking pans.
- 4Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) for 45 minutes.
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 1/4 cups ice water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 1/2 cups thinly sliced potatoes
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 onions
- 1/2 cup diced rutabaga
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons monosodium glutamate (MSG)
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1/2 cup hot water
November 26, 2016