"This is a great way to learn how to corn your own beef."
- 1In a large stainless steel or cast iron pot, combine the salt, water and brisket. Cover and let sit for 7 days in the refrigerator. (Note: brisket must be completely submerged, so double the salt and water if necessary.)
- 2After 7 days, drain the brine and add 1 gallon fresh water, bay leaves and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low/medium low, and simmer for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
- 3During the last 45 minutes of cooking, add the onion, cabbage, carrots, turnip, cilantro, and potatoes. Continue simmering until all vegetables are tender.
- 1 pound kosher salt
- 2 gallons water, divided
- 8 pounds beef brisket
- 6 bay leaves
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 medium head cabbage, quartered
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 potatoes - peeled and cubed
February 09, 2017