"This recipe takes time but you won't be disappointed. Give yourself a little luck o' the Irish with this Americanized version of an Irish feast. Serve with butter and Irish soda bread."
Method for Corned Beef and Cabbage II
- 1In a 6 quart Dutch oven, Place the beef brisket, peppercorns, garlic powder, onion, bay leaves and salt. Fill pan with water to cover everything plus one inch. Bring to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Skim off any residue that floats to the top. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 2 to 3 hours, until meat can be pulled apart with a fork.
- 2Once the meat is done, add the cabbage, potatoes and carrots, pressing them down into the liquid. Simmer for an additional 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Skim off any oil that comes to the surface. Stir in the butter and parsley. Remove the pot from the heat.
- 3Remove meat from the pot and place onto a serving dish and let rest for 15 minutes. Also remove vegetables to a bowl and keep warm. Slice meat on the diagonal against the grain. Serve meat on a platter and spoon juices over meat and vegetables.
- 4 1/2 pounds corned beef brisket
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 onion, peeled and left whole
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 small head cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 6 large potatoes, quartered
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
November 26, 2016