"A savory base of ground beef and vegetables in tangy tomato gravy and topped with a layer of buttery mashed potatoes. It's the perfect comfort food for your hungry family."
Shepherd’s pie is a classic comfort food recipe that’s healthy, hearty and filling. The bottom layer is a simple a mix of ground lamb and vegetables, simmered into a delicious savory sauce. Then, it’s topped with fluffy and creamy mashed potatoes that form a golden crust. It’s an easy, cozy meal the whole family will love!
Method for Classic Shepherd's Pie
- 1Heat oil in a skillet set over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, rosemary, and half of the salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 7 minutes. Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C).
- 2Crumble meat into pan and cook until brown all over. Sprinkle with flour. Stir in ketchup, tomato juice, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in mixed vegetables. Transfer to a 9-inch (23-cm) baking dish.
- 3Whip the potatoes with the warm milk, remaining salt and pepper, butter and garlic until very fluffy. Spread potatoes evenly over meat mixture. Bake for 35 minutes or until potatoes are golden.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Heinz Tomato Ketchup
- 3/4 cup Heinz® Tomato Juice
- 2 tablespoons Heinz Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables (such as peas and carrots)
- 3 cups cooked, warm, mashed potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup warm milk
March 22, 2017