"This recipe is very slightly adapted from one by someone called Friendlyfood on Allrecipes, who claims it was adapted from a version made at the Savoy Hotel in London.
I have to say, I am very impressed. It was light, tender, moist and very delicious."
You don't need much to fill the tables with delicious food. You just have to prepare this wonderful dish and enjoy it. Chef John's Scones has a unique and unrepeatable taste, as a result of which for many people it has become one of the most important and favorite parts of the menu.
Method for Chef John's Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- 2Whisk flour, white sugar, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a knife or pastry blender until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- 3Stir together 1/2 cup milk, sour cream, and currants in a small bowl; stir into flour mixture with a fork until just moistened and holding together.
- 4Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and pat into rectangle.
- 5Fold the rectangle in thirds. Turn dough a half turn, gather any crumbs, flatten back into a rectangle, and repeat. Cut into eight pieces and place each scone on a silicone baking mat.
- 6Whisk egg and 1 tablespoon milk together in a small bowl; brush mixture on top of each scone.
- 7Bake scones in the preheated oven until risen and golden brown, about 15 minutes. Remove and transfer to cooling rack.
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup dried currants
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
March 29, 2017