"This is a college try on a traditional favorite. Sometimes you're too poor to get all the ingredients for colcannon. It's a good quick filler for lunches in college. I like to put some brown gravy in mine, too, for more flavor."
Method for Cheap Irish Colcannon
- 1Place the cabbage and broccoli in a saucepan, and fill with just enough water to cover the vegetables. Cover, and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes; drain.
- 2Stir in the prepared mashed potatoes, butter, garlic salt, and black pepper.
- 2 1/2 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 3 cups hot prepared instant mashed potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, or as needed
- 1 pinch garlic salt
- ground black pepper to taste
January 17, 2017