"A classic heartwarming English dish served as a side for 4 or main with potatoes or bread for 2."
Method for Cauliflower Cheese
- 1Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower; cover the saucepan with a lid and steam cauliflower until tender, 10 to 12 minutes.
- 2Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Whisk flour into melted butter; cook, stirring constantly until raw flour taste cooks off and mixture darkens, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 3Gradually whisk milk into butter mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens, about 8 minutes. Remove pot from heat; stir in Cheddar cheese. Season sauce with salt and white pepper.
- 4Stir steamed cauliflower into cheese sauce; season with salt and white pepper.
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups milk
- 3 1/2 ounces grated sharp Cheddar cheese
- salt and ground white pepper to taste
December 20, 2016