This is an easy recipe to follow and it's great for any occasion. It's a very moist loaf cake, ideally cut into slices and buttered. It keeps very well in an airtight container - it usually doesn't last longer than a day in my house before it's all gone! [Recipe originally submitted to Allrecipes.co.uk]
Method for British Date and Walnut Loaf Cake
- 1Place dates and margarine in a bowl with boiling water and baking soda. Gently mix with a wooden spoon until margarine has melted and dates are plumped up. Let cool to room temperature, at least 30 minutes.
- 2Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line a 2-pound loaf pan with parchment paper.
- 3Combine flour, brown sugar, and walnuts in a separate bowl. Add to bowl with the date mixture. Mix well with a wooden spoon. Add egg and mix in. Spoon mixture into the prepared pan.
- 4Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 60 to 75 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.
- 4 ounces pitted chopped dates
- 2 ounces margarine
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounces self-rising flour
- 6 ounces brown sugar
- 2 ounces chopped walnuts
- 1 egg, beaten
August 25, 2021