Bread pudding - the English variety, not to be confused with 'bread and butter pudding' - this is more like a spiced cake than a dessert.
It is a bread dessert that is popular in many cuisines of the world. It mainly uses milk, eggs, oil and other important ingredients, which make the dessert very tasty and appetizing. This pudding was first made in the 18th century. It has a religious significance in different countries and is often prepared during religious holidays.
Method for British Bread Pudding
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2In a large bowl, combine bread and milk, and set aside to soak for 5 minutes. Then stir in egg, butter, raisins, mixed fruit, brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Mix well. Press the mixture into a 9-inch square baking pan.
- 3Bake in preheated oven until golden and firm to touch, about 35 minutes. Leave in baking pan to cool, then cut into squares.
- 6 ¼ cups cubed whole wheat bread
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dried mixed fruit
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
August 16, 2021