Bread pudding - the English variety, not to be confused with 'bread and butter pudding' - this is more like a spiced cake than a dessert.
Method for British Bread Pudding
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- 2In a large bowl, combine bread and milk, and set aside to soak for 5 minutes. Then stir in egg, butter, raisins, mixed fruit, brown sugar, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Mix well. Press the mixture into a 9-inch square baking pan.
- 3Bake in preheated oven until golden and firm to touch, about 35 minutes. Leave in baking pan to cool, then cut into squares.
- 6 ¼ cups cubed whole wheat bread
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- ⅓ cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dried mixed fruit
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
August 16, 2021