"This is a very old recipe. Serve these flavorful scones warm with butter. They may be a little heavy but you can lighten them up by using an egg in place of some of the milk if you like."
Method for Black Treacle Scones
- 1Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- 2In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, cream of tarter, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, nutmeg and ginger. Cut in butter with a fork or pastry blender. Combine milk and molasses in a small bowl; stir into flour mixture until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead briefly. Roll dough out into a 1/2 inch thick round. Cut out circles with a medium biscuit cutter and place pieces on prepared baking sheet so that they are barely touching.
- 3Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Move to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving. For soft scones, cover with a dry cloth for 10 minutes. For crisp scones, do not cover.
- 3 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup milk
February 24, 2017