"My 'Black Cumberland' version of the traditional red currant Cumberland sauce, uses black currants and some very browned onions. Serve this sauce, hot or cold, alongside any meat roast."
Method for Black Cumberland Sauce
- 1Heat vegetable oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir onions in the hot oil, until nearly dark brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- 2Pour wine into the saucepan, bring to a simmer and cook until reduced by half, about 1 minute; remove pan from heat.
- 3Stir currant jelly, orange juice, orange zest, lemon zest, lemon juice, brown sugar, black pepper, mustard powder, ginger, cayenne pepper, and salt into onion mixture until combined.
- 4Bring sauce to a boil; remove from heat.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 1 cup black currant jelly
- 2 oranges, zested and juiced
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
December 20, 2016